Friday, February 1, 2008

Women's World

If buildings were designed to accommodate a women's every need, I believe every building would be different, because every women is different. The perfect building for me, would not be the perfect building for another woman. Although most needs and desires are the same for all women, there are many different ones also. I don't think it really matters what material possessions you have, or how big your house is. The people that dwell in the building with you are what really matter.
The function I designed my house around, was that I planned to have friends and family over very frequently to entertain them and spend time together. The first floor is designed to comfortably accommodate many people. There is a huge lounge and living area, along with a huge front porch, because I love being outside as much as possible. The second floor is designed for the woman to have her alone or personal time. There is a lounge connected to the 2nd floor porch where women can spend time doing anything they want, it is large enough for almost any indoor hobby. The third floor would be for servants and maids if you chose to have them, or for your children if they lived at home still. My house would have many windows and face south, because I love the sun shining in. My site would have large amount of land. There would be a garden and stables with a variety of animals.
The strengths of my site would be that it would provide almost everything you need without having to leave the property for much, we would be self sufficient knowing we don't need to rely on anyone else and we could enjoy the fruits of our own labor. I guess a weakness would be that I was not very creative and it is a house much like the ones we have today. I find nothing wrong with how our houses are designed, the problem is that we need to slow our lives down. People need to enjoy the simple things and now always be in a hurry.

1 comment:

Nat said...

Interesting! I liked your idea of an open living space - such a structure doesn't assume anything about the resident (that she has children, is married, etc) and instead lets her use the space in her own way. In this sense it does differ from conventional architecture quite a bit. On this theme, what else could be changed about your structure to challenge some of the assumptions made about women?