Thursday, February 21, 2008

Cartoon Quilt

My great, great, great grandfather, Herman Dickerman Sr., came to America in the 1870's. He settled in Williamsport, PA, where he had my great, great grandfather Herman Dickerman Jr. Herman Jr became a very talented wood worker, he built furniture but specialized in detailed moldings. He was offered good money for his work in Lancaster, PA, which was a pretty rich area at this time. He moved to Lancaster and bought a house on 1st Street in downtown Lancaster. There he raised my great grandfather Ernest Dickerman, who married my great grandmother Goldie. They stayed in the same house and raised my grandfather Jerry and his sister Shirley. Jerry married my grandmother Margret they moved to a house right outside of town and had my father and his siblings. My father, Stephen, is also a woodworker like my great, great grandfather Herman Jr.


I found it very difficult to tell the story of my family history in only 6 boxes of a comic strip. There is so much to say but to actually draw pictures to tell the story was very hard because there are so many details to discuss. I was hesitant about this project because I am not talented when it comes to drawing things by hand. If I was better at drawing I would have been able to show more detail or I might have picked one event to draw instead of an overview of my family history and how the Dickermans got to America.

No comments: