Friday, February 22, 2008

Impressionist Portrait - Self portrait 3

For this project I decided not to use any computer programs to manipulate my portrait but wanted to focus on colors, textures, and themes like impressionists did. I printed out this picture of me in black and white and used crayons to create the image. Impressionists painted everyday scenes from the world they knew instead of painting historical or mythological subjects. I chose to use vibrant colors with strong contrast in my portrait. Because impressionist artists used quick spontaneous brush strikes and were not worried about a perfect finish, I wanted to make my portrait look rough, like it has some texture. This is actually a picture of me on a ferry ride to an island on Lake Erie. It was a beautiful August day and the wind was whipping through my hair. There were sail boats everywhere and you could see the coastline full of amazing waterfront properties. I love to be outside, so this picture represents my love for nature and beautiful landscapes, something impressionists thought to be important too.

No comments: